Translate

Friday, July 6, 2012

Taipei - you touched my heart! - Chinese culture fun facts

Quick note: click on photos to enlarge.

It was surprising to see at this site where the Xin Yi subway line was being built, that the construction company put apology signs and small plants along the construction site.  I've never seen that anywhere else.   


During my trip to Taipei, I found wearing eyeglass frames without any lenses is a trend there.  According to the local people, wearing these frame will make their faces look smaller, make their slender eyes less obvious and that glass would add reflection and detract from the look. 

A girl at a teppanyaki place

A male shop owner

This was an oddity - a restaurant run by a company whose main business appears to be making airline food!  We saw this at the Taipei 101 food court.  I guess they should be reasonably good, as hard as it is to survive in the super competitive food business in Taipei.


This is a fortune telling "mall" in the basement shopping mall below the main train station.  During the operation hours, it is super busy.   I think it is really good business though.  "Hmmm.... let me tell you, you look stressed, is there anything going on at home, or work, or life...?"  I bet I could be a good fortune teller too, but I could not bring myself to do so.


Night market facial spa.  He is performing eyebrow threading for the women.  They are busy.


In many Asian countries, people have obsessions with cartoon characters, even after they grow up.  Hello Kitty is a huge success.  Here is a cartoon character based restaurant.



Cartoon paintings in subway hallway.



Old Chinese people don't go to the gym.  They do group exercise everywhere - parks, subway tunnels. 

Very early one morning at Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall, we saw a group of women doing modern dance


Elsewhere on the grounds, other groups were practicing Taichi




Lady Gaga is big in Taipei too!


I found the English words in this tea advertisement were funny.


A steak house named Mr Onion?

1 comment:

  1. Ah, so the frames without lenses are a thing overseas, too. I've noticed a lot of people going for the thicker frame look. I guess it's "retro-chic," or something like that. I can understand if they actually need to wear glasses, but the empty frame thing... Not so much. Interesting to hear the reasoning behind the trend in Taipei, though! There always seems to be an obsession with eye size and face shape when it comes to fashion. I'm sure their faces would look fine even without the heavy frames. No need to hide a pretty face!

    ReplyDelete